Breakumentary: ▲ Episode 1

Aby from The Bronx Boys talks drugs, dick riding, and the debate over the origins of moves.

BY More Than A Stance
Camera: Justin Gaar
Music: Cold Legistics
POSTED January 2nd, 2011

is a short Breakumentary series examining different perspectives of b-boying.

20 Responses to “Breakumentary: ▲ Episode 1”

1. Gesture says:

This is dope!

2. Michele (SMK/TBB-TBG) Fields says:

Aby is always dropping knowledge catch him at a jam and just ask a question and he will leave you full like a buffet after church. Peace to my brother Aby The Bronx Girls Battle Divison. Sisters of TBB.

3. my name is not important says:

THIS IS FUCKING!! SICK! AND TRUE.. after Abys sentecnes from 1:54 to 2.03 i just sat in front of my desktop and continued looking with my mouth opened… because in those few sentences he “destroyed” “breakdancers” and he was just saying the Truth and whats its all about.

Looking forward to speak with that man one day..

Peace, Love, Unity and having FUn ;)

4. Pegaso says:

The truth right there!!!

5. Everything says:

this is upper echelon editing, with wisdom from a legend. luv it!

6. Anonymous says:

When does the second episode go up?

7. Ron Case says:

I can relate to this so much, what he says has so much truth, cuts straight to the truth with no bullshit.

nuff respect from an old bboy head.

8. ABY TBB says:

THIS IS ABY TBB DROPPING MY LUV & RESPECT TO THE HIP HOP COMMUNITY & TO SAY THANKS FOR PUTTING THIS OUT!1 IM FLOORED NO WORDS CAN EXPRESS MY HUMBLENESS!! IT’S ALL ABOUT THE HOLE TRUTH & NUTIN BUT THE TRUTH… THANKS MORE THAN A STANCE !!!! MAXIMUM RESPECT!! ABY DA ORIGINAL CONCRETE ROCKER!!

9. beonpnt says:

Those were very true words…it’s kind of like the truth. No one makes the truth, it already exixts. It’s up to an individual to learn the truth. Just Dance man! 1 and thank you!!!

10. great words of wisdom… and very true… things have def. changed now

11. MARSELU says:

WORD! its so true!these kind of words we need to listeng,preseve and respect!
    god bless you aby keep spreading the truth to us!
    peace and respect
    MARSELU TBB

12. ABY TBB says:

THE BRONX BOYS ROCKING CREW ESTABLISHED 1975…

FROM: BATCH TBB/ROCK STEADY GOD FATHER.

REPRESENTATION: ….THE HISTORY OF TBB ROCKING CREW, AND THE FACTS OF ROCK STEADY’S BIRTH.

To: Crazy Legs, and for the Rocking (Break Dancing) Community …

Back in 1975 Batch, Shark, and Cash formed a graffiti crew, we named it The Bronx Boys (TBB) since we were indeed from the Bronx, TBB fitted us just right. During those old school days Up Rocking and Graffiti were the two best things for the young people growing up in the Bronx, and tagging up was what motivated us the most since it contained the substance of what fame was to become of The Bronx Boys.
    We used to Up Rock and sip on a grape tasting wine that only cost us a dollar for a full extra large pint. This wine was called “Night Train”. If you was a Graffiti artist back then you’d know what I’m talking about. It got us warmed up, and ready to go bombing (tagging). I actually started tagging graffiti back in 1974 when my name was Bat, and not until Cash and
    Shark added C-H to my name which became Batch. The reason for that was because I was not satisfied with a graffiti name that only contained three letters.
    In 1975 on a hot summer July, while Up Rocking with some members of TBB Graffiti Artists, a simple Up Rocking move turned into a falling mistake by a kid named TE- TE Rock (not the later TE-TE Rock) who fell to the ground and made a swift move that changed the Up Rocking
    dance art throughout the world. This dance art became known as Break Dancing since we jokingly called it breaking your ass on the concrete. But the better name for it is actually “Rocking” since it originated from Up Rock to start with. Therefore, I turned our graffiti crew (TBB) into TBB
    Rocking Crew. Then came Star Child LA Rock, and after that came Rock Well-Association.
    Notice that these old school B-Boy crews had the word Rock to their crew. And furthermore, notice the later Rock Steady Crew, also contained the word “Rock”. In 1979 when I broke up the TBB Rocking Crew and Jimmy Lee turned his TBB division to Rock Steady I asked him why that
    name? And he simply said to me: “Batch, because TBB Rocking Crew was always Rocking Steady! You get it?” I smiled and told him that was a cool name for the TBB division. The first Rock Steady shirts were brown with white letters, and on the bottom of the shirts Jimmy added
    TBB to let the people know that Rock Steady was actually still The Bronx Boys. In 1977 TBB Rocking Crew had spread largely throughout the Bronx which had caught the eye of Africa Bambaataa, and called for a peace treaty between the two biggest organizations in the Bronx back then. Please feel free to question Africa Bambaataa about this historical incident that took place back then. We met with him on the Webster projects for our interview, and we discussed issues that pertained to the safety of all the young people who used to attend Jams, DJ Parties, and School Yard Jams etc. The agreement was settled with respect and great concern and consideration for the sake of the young people who liked to attend those old school days parties.
    The Zulunation and TBB became together after that meeting with Africa Bambaataa back in1977. Rock Steady was not around for 1977 I assure you this. And with respect for Crazy Legs (Who today is the leading father of Rock Steady) I want for him to truly understand that the anniversary of Rock Steady needs to be changed from 1977 to the official time when Rock Steady was actually formed, which was back in 1979 and not 1977.
    And to further correct this issue, Rock Steady was not present for the 1977 blackout, and it was not around for the Killings of the Son of Sam incidents. Which was also during the 1977 era. Rock Steady was not present when TBB Rocking Crew was out there destroying other crews in
    Rocking battles It is ridiculous to say that Rock Steady was out in 1977, when the true matter is that TBB Rocking Crew actually gave it life when I broke up TBB in 1979. And to date I am glad to say that TBB is back out and strong as ever! Thanks to my little brother Aby, Track-2, Don
    Tony, Trace-2 (my big brother), Bom-5, SOLO138 and the true warrior-Powerful Pexster, along with the many devoted TBB Rocking Crew members out there today.
    In 1979 when I broke up TBB one of my divisions from 183rd had come up with a new name for that TBB Rocking Crew division on Creston ave in the Bronx. Jimmy Lee and Jimmy Dee along with some other TBB Crew members gave it its new name “Rock Steady”. I am sadden and disappointed by the false information about the history of “Rocking” (which today they call it Break Dancing). I have come across much misleading subjects and statements which are truly fairy tale assumptions from individuals that writers interview for feed back, and opinions then add these falsehood stories about the history of Rocking to their publishing mags, and books, with no regard to assure that what they are printing may just be misleading information about the history of Rocking.
    Recently I read a book called Vibe History, and as I read the Rocking (Break Dancing) history section of the book Ijust had to laugh.
    many of those individuals mentioned in the section on Rocking I’ve known them for years, and grew up with many of them. Much of what I’ve read in that section on Rocking was nonsense. Needless to say, but true, that’s a prime example of what I mean by false information. However, the section contained some true substance from those individuals that knew what they were saying. In any event though, I had to toss the book aside, when I noticed that the writer’s information lacked more substantial facts, that needed to be represented to the true history of Rocking. The information was unbalanced with some historical eras and misconceptions … May I ask where was TBB Rocking Crew in those historical events? Not once was the fundamentals of TBB Rocking Crew ever mentioned in that section of Rocking from that book Vibe History. Leaving out the main puzzles of the history of Rocking (Break Dancing) made the statements therein worthless to acknowledge. When we write about history we don’t start from the middle of it. Otherwise, it won’t contain any significance to its important value.
    With respect to crazy legs and his Rock Steady people, Rock Steady’s anniversary “year” needs to be corrected. If the celebration of it is going to be a realistic factor on its development from where it was first founded by Jimmy Lee and jimmy Dee who made up Rock Steady from a division that came out of TBB Rocking Crew back in 1979.
    In my years since I knew jimmy he was a true TBB Rocking Crew Vice Pres, from the heart! he loved The Bronx Boys deeply. In Jimmy’s heart, to him, Rock Steady was acting was actually TBB Rocking Crew. I can honestly tell you this much about my brother jimmy Lee. Jimmy Lee
    was always breaking other crews apart for TBB Rocking Crew when we would go battle against any crew out there back in those old school days. And when I made the decision to break up TBB Rocking Crew jimmy tried to convince me not to. He wasn’t alright with my decision but respectfully accepted it since I was the head pres of TBB Rocking Crew back then. And when I did, I left him without any other choice but to take his division and change the name of TBB Rocking Crew to Rock Steady which he had named it back in 1979.

As for Crazy Legs, I honestly admire him, and I have nothing but love and respect for him. Especially for his honorable position today in the world of Rocking (Break Dancing), and for his love and part on the history of Rock Steady. In fact, I am a true fan of his. And lets continue to keep in mind that Crazy Legs was, without question, the main one to bring back Rocking (Break Dancing) back to life when it started to die out in the early 1980′s, and whom has gained the spot light through out the world for as being the originator of Rocking (Break Dancing). And whether he created the dance art or not, he surely deserves all the high lights and fame that he has managed to accomplish through out the years for his ability determination, and for his personal dedication and involvement in the world of Hip Hop in general. So, just for the record, let me assure all you today in the Rocking communities that I only speak for what is right and fair, and for what TBB Rocking Crew sincerity stands for.
    Moreover, TBB Rocking Crew will always be remembered as the true pioneers of Rocking, since after all we are indeed the foundation of the dance art that The Bronx Boys have created. They’ll be many haters and opposers out there, who will never give TBB Rocking Crew their props and loyalty. But overall, and the positive good thing about TBB Rocking Crew is that we have many devoted members that will always support themselves, and they will see to it that The Bronx Boys will never be left out of the important part and role that we played in the history of Rocking,
    which we have been a true part of since 1975. So to all my TBB Rocking Crew peeps keep your heads up at all times, and know in your hearts that if it wasn’t for TBB Rocking Crew there would have not been Rock Steady, and all of the many, many more crews that exist out there today,
    doing their thing with this unique art dance that has spread throughout the world today. Am I right Pexster Love? “Powerful Pexster” that is!
    Let us celebrate the anniversary of TBB Rocking Crew dating back to 1975. And to those of you whom believe that the Rock Steady was around for the year 1977, I have a simple and polite question for you, and that is: “Where was you when the lights went out in New York City? Seriously?” I know I’ve said this over and over again, but Rock Steady was not present while TBB Rocking Crew was still in its existence back in those old school days. However, today TBB and Rock Steady are around at the same time. But the real funny thing is that TBB and Rock Steady are “twin brothers”; hypothetically speaking. Since Rock Steady was formed from TBB Rocking Crew the fact is that you really can not separate them only by disagreement. And if my words are not good enough, call it what ya want it to be, ya still have the right to prove me wrong if I am.
    In fact Crazy Legs was a TBB Rocking Crew member when he was just a kid growing up in the Bronx. He even stated it himself in the book called: “YES-YES YALL”. Crazy Legs said: “[ knew some of the Zulus, but my idols were other crews, like the original Rock Steady … The Bronx Boys (TBB) was the first crew [ was ever down with”. And this is one of the reasons why I admire him the way I do. He’s a humble man, and I appreciate people with such characteristics in their personality.
    JoJo ex-TBB member (Trace, Aby, Track, JiIilmy, and many more know this) stated this about Crazy Legs on another piece of article from the “Source Magazine” some years ago, said: “Crazy Legs as a little kid was in the audience cause he used to be in TBB Rocking Crew”. My question to JoJo right now would be: “Why are you denying the fact that you was down with TBB, when you know that you was indeed a TBB Rocking Crew member back in the day?” Don’t front kid, you are welcomed back whenever you wish to rejoin what your heart calls for! I ain’t mad at you. Keep your head up JoJo!
    In closing on this commentary I want to say that I have much love for all of you whom are part of the Rock Steady community, and for those of you throughout the world who represent Rock Steady and TBB Rocking Crew. My homage and respect goes out to all of you that make. the very unique difference in the art dance that we appreciate dearly, “Rocking” or “Break Dancing” what ever ya wish to call it is a true gift and blessing for all of us who put our emotions and hearts into it.

Respectfully,
    l am BATCH God Father of TBB Rocking Crew, and Rock Steady.

• Panther says:

Yo Batch, since you are the god-father of TBB Rocking Crew does that make you the 1st ever Bboy?

• baby Roc says:

He wasn’t the first bboy,the first b boy was the amazing sausau in the bronx.he wasn’t a floor rocker he was more vertical style.TBB,Starchild la rock,CC Crew,Zulu Kings,Salsoul were the crew’s that laid the foundation for how it’s done today.Spy(CC Crew)is considered the godfather of all bboys

13. Vivid says:

mad fresh my brotha, aby!

14. [...] “? is a short Breakumentary series examining different perspectives of b-boying.” Source [...]

15. [...] “? is a short Breakumentary series examining different perspectives of b-boying.” Source [...]

16. Skounce says:

Respect to this dude. Peace.